Agent Training and Certification
Certified Insurance Agents will be certified with Covered California if they complete all requirements and steps as outlined here:
1. Create a Covered California Account
- Create an account on CoveredCA.com.
- Note your user name and password for this login.
- Allow two to three business days for your license to be validated with the California Department of Insurance.
2. Complete online training through the Learning Management System.
- The Learning Management System is where agents complete their required online computer-based training and certification exam.
- You will be sent your login and password for the Learning Management System.
- Note that your Learning Management System login and password are separate from your Covered California account login and password.
- Once you sign in, you will see “Covered California Insurance Agent Certification 2014-2015” in the learning console.
- Complete all online courses.
3. Pass the certification exam.
- Pass the Certified Insurance Agent exam with a score of 80 percent or better.
- You will be notified immediately whether you pass or fail after completing the exam.
- You may take the exam up to three more times if you do not pass.
- In two to three business days, you will receive an email from email@example.com via DocuSign, with the final paperwork instructions, including the agent agreement.
4. Submit certification paperwork to Covered California.
- Once you pass the certification exam, you will be sent an email with instructions requesting submission of final paperwork.
- Please review the agent agreement quick slide deck, which will help with questions when completing and submitting the paperwork. It includes:
- Payee Data Record STD 204.
- Payee Data Record STD 213.
- Exhibit A: Agent Agreement.
- Voter Registration Training.
- Proof of Errors and Omissions Insurance.
- The email sent to you will also contain instructions on how to pay the California Department of Insurance endorsement and handling fee online, as well as specific instructions on how to return documents via email, fax or mail.
- Allow seven to 10 business days for final paperwork to be processed. You will be notified of your certification status, provided there is no missing information or errors with your paperwork.
5. Agent status is changed to "Certified" on the Covered California website.
Your profile is now public on the Covered California website, and you are now permitted to assist and enroll employers, employees and individuals seeking health insurance coverage through Covered California.